Join Today!

Conflicted Feelings Over Tourists?

Honk!  Screech of rubber on pavement. Zoom!  Rude gesture out driver's window.

Did you witness any or all of those things on the backroads of the Salem area this Memorial Day weekend?  N and I did.  The two of us think it's great that our area is on more and more maps of "destinations with things to do and see", but with that designation come the inevitable slow and confused drivers.  They're unfamiliar with our area, after all.
When we lived on the coast our preferences were to leave town or stay home.  We felt like banging our heads against the steering wheel whenever we ran to the grocery store, forgetting it was a big weekend.   I don't think this area has anything close to what you might see on the coast, but I know it can be frustrating all the same. However this time around, instead of staying home or leaving town, I'm going to try patience, because frankly I'm tired of Salem being ignored for so long.
What about you?

6 comments:

  1. I'm not conflicted at all. Tourism is a great clean industry. Come on down to Salem. If you want to know where to eat go to eatsalem.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to look at it--clean industry! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't a retirement community. Most of the cars are probably from families getting out of their homes, not tourists. And if they are tourists, I hope even more come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, The angry driver we spotted gesturing and zooming away, was due to a car full of people out wine tasting. Thankfully, the group ended up pulling over to consult a map. I'm with you. I hope more tourists come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that's an entirely different problem. Drunk drivers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was imagining these folks wearing bermuda shorts with kodak cameras around their necks.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think.