Join Today!

Artists needed for Cherry City Derby Girls auction

Hey, all. I don't want my first blog entry to seem like an ad. It is more of a call to action. Salem has a brand new roller derby league, Cherry City Roller Girls. I am a skater and active league member. It is a great sport with an amazing amount of potential.
If you aren't familiar with roller derby, the sport has changed a lot. We skate on a flat surface, not the banked track of yesteryear. It is still a full contact sport. We wear full gear -- helmet, mouth guard, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads, and some of us even wear crash pants to protect our hips and tailbones. Skaters are athletes with provocative names like Jennacidal Tendencies and St. Anne Sinner.
CCDG is set for our public debut at the State Fair!
But in the meantime, we are raising interest and funds to support the derby by holding an art auction benefiting Cherry City Derby Girls (CCDG) in August. Venti's Cafe is among those businesses participating in the art auction, as is Cherry Redd and a few other places to be confirmed. Organizers need more artists.
Donated art will be on display locally by July 26, with an artists' reception scheduled for August 5. The auction will be August 22. Proceeds will benefit CCDG. Any media is acceptable but art needs to be derby-inspired.
Email Betty Grapple for more information ccdg.betty.grapple@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. So jewelery would be acceptable? I'll take a look at some roller derby images and see what they inspire. I know of the sport and have seen some references on TV. Sounds like fun! I'm not a professional artist by any means, but I do love to make things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was an artist, but I don't think I can help. Guess I'll have to support by going to the shows.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think.